Saturday, September 27, 2014

Unconscious Bias in the Google Workplace

Readers,
          In regard to the community post about unconscious bias in the Goggle workplace, the article began with stating, "Google, like many tech companies, is a man's world". Does this mean women are just living in it? As a female, I would not consider myself a feminist, however I am borderline. Nonetheless, I do believe in the social, political, and economical equality of the sexes. Honestly, is there a problem with having a desire for an egalitarian society?
       
       The women who work at Google work there because they are exceptionally intelligent and brilliant at what they do. Their gender is irrelevant. They produce the same quality work that any male can.  It seems to me that the workers at Google are just immature and intolerant. I am yet to hear of any scientific theory, let alone fact, about the disparity between male and female brain capacity and intellectual ability. As far as I'm concerned, a brain is a brain regardless of the person it belongs to.
     
       If I were working for Google, I would not consider that a safe environment. I would not be able to conform to being constantly demeaned just because of my physical attributes. Moreover, Google claims that they preform diversity training workshops to help better the workplace. Yet and still, attending a seminar every blue moon cannot teach tolerance. Respect is a value and a virtue that employers at Google do not seem to attain.
   
       Moreover, this leads me to question how the female workers feel. Do they have any sentiment toward their male counterparts? If there were a time to complain, would this be it? Although in all rationality, if the women conveyed their thoughts, the issue would be of a greater magnitude. It is probably smarter to just contain any position on the subject and, like the bright women they are, do the job they were paid to do.
     
   
  Warm Regards,
Grace

6 comments:

  1. Do you think this problem is only at Google? I doubt it. And that makes me happy that they are at least acknowledging it and trying to find a solution.

    Is believing in the "social, political, and economical equality of the sexes" different than feminism?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I found your article to be a very interesting read, I think you took a poor approach to the initial quote, "Google, like many tech companies, is a man's world.". I highly doubt the intention of that quote was to say that only men belong in the IT industry, rather I believe it was to state that it is simply a male-dominated industry. Seeing as you based your entire post off of that one quote, I don't believe that you were wrong in what you said, in fact, your second paragraph was exceptional in conveying that anyone, male or female, is capable of succeeding in a company like Google, however I do believe you wrote your post based off of a misinterpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your statement, " The women who work at Google work there because they are exceptionally intelligent and brilliant at what they do. Their gender is irrelevant." People are chosen to do a job, and I feel they should be judged for only that aspect: "can they do the job?" If someone has been chosen for a job, they must be capable of it, so why does their gender make any difference?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace, I agree with your statement "A brain is a brain..." but did you ever stop to consider that maybe more women aren't working at Google because they haven't found the same amount of women who are to the caliber of what they need? If you have a man and a woman of the same caliber, work ethic, and intelligence, yes there should be equality, but not every man is equal to every woman workwise just as every woman isn't equal to every man workwise. It's just a question of ability, and maybe it has nothing to do with race at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I , too, agree with your statement about the brain. If a scientist were to scan a male vs. female brain he/she would not know the difference. I also agree with your statement about google employers being intolerant and immature. As a woman myself, I would not feel comfortable at google, not because it is dominantly male, but because I am working beside the people who made those decisions. It is disgraceful

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your statement being that women and men produce the same quality work, and I agree with the general statement of your response though I have a couple questions. First being- what do you personally consider feminism and is there a specific reason you don't identify as a feminist? Secondly would you consider any male dominated workplace unsafe or just stereo-typically male workplaces? As for my last question- why do you think that the women at google aren't complaining about this? Do you think they are afraid or unaware? Or maybe they aren't being heard, but the question remains as to why.

    ReplyDelete